Friday, May 18, 2007

Finger Cramps?!

Oy vey! Well, Spincerely finally has done it. Yep, brace yourself world - I am learning to knit! For many years I have sidestepped her friendly invitations to the world of fiber claiming to be true to my one lifelong hobby. Yes, since scrapbooking is so time consuming - and I get so little time to do it - I figured I should stay with that alone (well, unless you count reading as a hobby, but I don't). Here's what sucked me in... knitting is so much more transportable. I find as the children get older I spend more and more time waiting. Wait at the doctor, wait at sports practice, the orthodontist, the school, the rehearsals, etc. Now, in the past I have attempted to bring scrapbook magazines, or some photos to crop, or a notebook for ideas and sketches. All okay, but not quite satisfying (and with Ethan almost impossible).

So, I am picking up this new hobby as a travelling one. I'm not too good at it yet.

Here is my very first "project" so far. It is going to be a Webkinz sleeping bag. For Fluffy the Webkin. Then I need to make blankets for the numerous other Webkinz living in this house.
On to my very first "knitting catastrophy" so far. I am in full concentration mode (well, if you can concentrate with one son in a tutu and cowboy boots doing tap dancing and the other in a doggy costume with a santa hat and a trick or treat bag going around saying - ho, ho, ho, I'm Santa Doggy and giving me "treats" AND "Go, Diego, Go" playing on the tele) (and YES that is totally true) so yeah, I'm sort of kind of almost concentrating when my yarn ball plups off the couch. I ignore it figuring I would get it when at the end of the row (being new to this thing I get scandlized if I need to pause mid-row). Sooooooo I go to get it - AND IT IS FLOATING IN MY FREAKING TEA! Yes, my brand new, lovely, Spinny special yarn is now a TEA BALL! Eeeep!

I say a few choice words left over from my school teacher days (OH maccaroni and cheese! Parsnip juice and jam toes! and fingledoodle!) then I rush to the phone to call my Knitty 911 pal to get her advice.

She tells me to rinse it (hadn't thought of that, really - duh to me) and unroll it to dry it out. Hence the pic of Raggedy Ann "helping" me dry the yarn. See I was tempted to throw it all in the dryer for a tumble. Lucky I called her!

That's my life. You are now updated. Oh, and I have finger cramps from the knitting I think!
On to a scrapbookery topic... here is the thank you gift I made for Abbie's Odyssey of the Mind coach (who's a teacher too). The specs are:

- page size 4"X 12" (so no 4x6 photos need to be trimmed, sweet!)

- jump ring to hold it together tied with random ribbon scraps (shoulda knit them!)
- Bazzill cardstock in tan


- Junkitz fanci*ful line patterned paper
- Junkitz fanci*ful carstock stickerz






- Junkitz fanci*ful tagz & flowerz







- tea dye distress ink







- some assorted clear stamps








I think that's it.
The pictures are of just a few of the pages so you get the
general idea. I got the idea to do this type of project
off of the Fiskars website.
Hope you like the project feature - have a great weekend!

8 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Spincerely said...

You are just too funny! Is Santa Doggy going to come trick or treating to my house???
Your knitting is lovely and so is your gift album!
p.s. I must be a robot tonight cuz I can not get the letters to cooperate with me! Why are your words so hard!!!!!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Spincerely said...

Oh my goodness! I just realized that you wrote your first knitting post and it was really funny and cracked me up and had me laughing out loud -- You, my dear, could be the next Yarn Harlot!!! I can't wait til your book comes out and you go on tour!!!!
(hey - this is so strange, I just got a much easier word this time in a bigger font with fewer letters!)

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Spincerely said...

Oh shoot - why can't I remember to write everything in one comment??? Also, I wanted to say: Thank goodness the freaking snow flakes are gone! Much much better!!!!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Kim said...

OMG, Jen, that's really just hysterical. I probably woulda tossed it into the dryer and ruined it. And I read it out loud to Reese and we both loved the mental picture of your boys, the tapdancing ballet cowboy and of course Santa Doggy.

I'm up at the campsite now, typing this on Gabe's laptop, but, can't be long because it's been overheating. I'm going to try to run away to do some shopping sans the kids. It's beautiful here right now, but is supposed to rain tonight.

Congrats on learning to knit. I've been thinking of learning myself, (Spinney inspired me with a comment on one of my posts last year) to give me something to do up here. Although it's been soooo long since I've cropped, I really need to do that.

Don't forget to comment over at my place. I'll try to give you a call sometime this week.

Love ya~
Kim

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I just got done reading a book about a knitting shop. Not the most uplifting book. But sounds like a fun hobby. And more transportable than scrapbooking. I haven't scrapped in so long I'm embarrassed to say...

Hope you had a good weekend. It was gorgeous here. 80's and sunny. Summer is officially here! Talk with you later. May try to call you this week. Ty naps from 10 to about 1...I'll try one day during that time frame, K?

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Hey Jenny! Thanks for posting on my blog. And thanks for saying I look the same. Don't feel like I do, but thanks!

I tried to call a number on Monday, but I think it's a cell phone number. Could you e-mail your number to me? I erased your message and never wrote down your number (even on caller ID). That way I can call when Ty's sleeping. He is very busy during the day, and that's when I get my calls done. Much quieter.

Kinda looking forward to the surgery, just because I know I will feel better. Right now it just kinda sucks all the time.

Looking foward to conneting!
kristy5@charter.net.

K

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jenny! That is great and your webkins will be so pleased! Hey I really like your slide show - some really beautiful scrapbook pages :)

Well I'm off to find my tutu and cowgirl boots I'm inspired!

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello? Hello? I do believe it is time to schedule your purling lesson! And as a bonus, if you book early, I can show you some more photos of sheep butts!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home