Sunday, May 13, 2007

Weekend Agendas


First and foremost... Happy Mother's Day to all you moms out there! I hope that you had a great day!

Today I am in an opinionated mood about a little square off of sorts I had while at our first BMX race. Yes, I am a lunatic, Max is now doing BMX. Good grief. He did very well and while he did not "win" he had a personal win when after totally wiping out about 12 inches from the finish line in his second moto (they do three, then all the best race each other in the finals) he got back on that bike and finished his third moto and the finals. I was very proud of him. He is very bruised but PSYCHED about the trophy he received. You can see the trophy in the pic. Very cool.




So, you are likely wondering about the incident. Well, I saw a woman I know from when I worked at TSC (still miss doing that and seeing Deb all the time, sniff, sniff...). I think that's where I know her from. Anyway, I recognize her. Her name is Lisa. So, we are talking... how's the kids, etc. and she asks if I am still involved with soccer. Well... I am, and we are, a lot. When I tell her yes, and I will admit I speak enthusiastically about soccer (usually), she says, "Then you must be a soccer mom". Hmmmm... well, yeah - I think I just said that. Also I think I don't love that she seems to be implying something negative.

So, I am then fully involved in watching my son and praying he doesn't fall again (he didn't, but he also did ride more conservatively for the final two races) so I think no more about it. Now I am home, it is late and I am totally wiped out, and now I think I wish I said something else to Lisa. So I look up "soccer mom" for giggles on Wikipedia and here is some of what I find:

"The term can carry pejorative connotations, where the soccer mom may denote a woman who is aloof and has little responsibility or occupation, other than providing basic transportation for her children. In feminist circles, the soccer mom may refer to a woman who has given up on a promising and successful career, particularly after having some early aspirations and achievements. However, the word is not entirely negative, those described as soccer moms sometimes take pride in the term as affirmation that they are dedicated to providing attention, recreation and positive social contact for their children."

I find that definition, and the rest of it too, largely annoying.

So, I am merely a transportation device?

Ya think?
WELL, I think soccer is a wonderful social activity, is great exercise and encourages family. I love cheering my children on and don't get carried away and never wish to slug umpires. So Lisa can kiss my teacher, nurse, psychologist, maid, cook, banker, analyst, crafter, entertainer, and yes- transporter's- rear end! Harrrumph!
There, now I feel better.

Here's the Princess kicking some soccer tush - Go Abbie!

8 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I wish I could be a Stay at Home Mom. There's so much to do, and so many benefits. Moms who ship their kids off to daycare are just jealous. I bring mine to work, so I'm sort of an in between. I didn't have a child so someone else could raise him. If I were you, I'd be proud to be a "soccer mom." You're raising 3 wonderful kids. Anyone can work. But how many can be great moms who raise well-adjusted kids?

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a largely anti-SAHM article in the newspaper yesterday. It was crazy -- it implied by staying home, moms are giving up their future earning potential. Do you think there is more to life than your total lifetime income?
BTW, I hear that you are starting up a low cost (read: free) taxi service, can I book you for next Wednesday?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Spincerely said...

Hi! Me again! I forgot to say congrats to Max and Abbie for successful sporting weekends! Great photos (as usual!)!
Also, I don't know how you always seem to get into these situations where people need to label you. I think next time this happens you should say "No, that makes me an Awesome Mom!" or "That makes me a Happy Mom with Happy Wonderful Children!"

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The DH of the SAHM also values the fine work Jenny and other "soccer moms" do!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Spincerely said...

You have been tagged. Details on my blog :)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Hey Jen

That woman, and all who think that way are complete idiots. I once had a conversation with someone (see if you can guess who it was) who was having trouble with having enough room for her family in their car, especially since her MIL was always insisting on going everywhere with them. I suggested she get a mini-van, as it would give her more room. She said, in this horrified voice "Oh no, I couldn't get a mini-van, I wouldn't want people to think I'm a soccer mom!" Yeah I was pretty disgusted then too, seeing as I drove one and she knew I drove one. Whatever. Like I said, people are idiots. We all know what we do, and they obivously are too stupid and closed minded to realize it.

Anyway, glad to see your back to blogging. I am too, as of today. Check it out.

Love ya~
Kim

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just catching up on yer blogs. You're a great mom, happy Mother's Day! John & I are coming back to Ct area for a visit 5/31 - 6/10. Let me know if you' d like to meet up. Why & when are you moving?!!
Love,
G

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I am a sort of SAHM- I work around my kids. I have nothing against ANY mom as we are all working hard to raise our children! I did get a negative comment about the minivan once, and that did it, its kinda hard to drive clients around with the frenchfry stains and sticky lolipops. I now have something else!! YOU are a better , more creative mom than me. Now for your comeback " Why would you ask????" That is going to be my standard answer for any personal, derogatory, TMI queries.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home