Thursday, June 05, 2008

The ONE That I Made

This is a post with a lot of ONE things in it - strange.
There is ONE more day left of school for my children.
There is ONE day left to finish up my thank you notes to Abbie's teachers (Max's are done and delivered - check ONE thing off the list).

This is a story about the ONE teacher gift I managed to churn out this year.

Not sure what my problem was - I especially had intended to make something for the preschool teacher... I think by the end of the year my view of her program had changed and I lost the motivation to make that one. So, this gift went to Ethan's therapist who is a sweetheart and really went the extra mile for Ethan.

The particulars - I started with two boards that go as a set. They are heavy chipboard.. sort of like a clipboard would be made of. I went over each one with a thin coat of white acrylic paint. Then I sprayed them with walnut ink spray (like I used on the "Love" project in February). I adhered some school themed paper. Then using the flourish template in the picture (because I am on a flourishes kick these days) I made corner flourishes with a dark brown paint. Then everything got covered with mod podge. Now, for the bottom board I podged over the pictures but on the top layer I didn't. I love the top picture so much and didn't want anything to change it at all.
Finally I added rhinestone accents - one over the top left of the picture and then single ones within the flourishes. Added the quote and apple accent (which is a sticker on a brown painted chipboard circle). There is also a hanging charm from the jump rings that you can't really see in the picture that says "thanks". Oh I painted on the "thank you" stamp with the same dark brown ink as in the flourishes.
I was pretty happy with it... it was hard to see it go. I usually like to look at my stuff for a couple of days before I give it away. That lets me "tweak" it and say goodbye to it too! Here is a closeup of each side - just for prosperity (my prosperity that is! ;) I did add some words to the top section that didn't get pictured (did it on the way to give it to her!). Otherwise it was how you see it.
Welp, that's it from me... maybe tomorrow you'll get to see the finished playscape! ;)
PS - Items I purchased for this project... ZERO! All items from my stash, even the chipboards!! I was psyched!!!

4 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love the rhinestone touches. I want to scrapbook so much!!!! That is so cool that you scrapped from your stash. In the knitting world there are always people going on yarn diets and knitting from their stash, is that big in the scrapbooking world too? Are there scrap from your stash crop-a-longs and websites and bulletin boards devoted to it? If I were to scrap from my stash at this point, everything would be outdated! Oh wait, I too have one of those florish templates! Did you use it like a stecil, btw. Also, how big are those chip boards. In the top photo I thought they were like 10 x 10 but then they seemed to get smaller as the photos went along. Anyway - great job and have a happy ONE!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

You are so crafty. And have the energy....something I am sorely lacking these days. Ty wears me out! Being two, he's constantly on the move. And is learning to "negotiate" everything. (Doesn't work with Mommy, but it's cute to see how he tries)

Anyway, glad the kiddos are out of school. Hope you guys have a super summer! Looking forward to seeing the play area in the back yard....

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Kristy said...

Ok, Tamara. I was in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw The Host on the shelf. Read the back. Freaky. I don't know if I could read that. Very Invasion of the Body Snatchers-ish huh?

Anyone else read it? (I will have to wait...I'm reading a series now, and will wait for the library. I've had to get thriftier these days...single mom thing!)

Working on minimal sleep today. Ty's getting molars. Why do fevers spike at 2:30 am?? At least I planned ahead. New bottle of Ibuprofin yesterday!

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy, I sort of agree - it is strange and I have a lot of unanswered questions about how all this "host" stuff works but I'm still at the beginning (as I don't read nearly as fast at Croppy). My favorite part of the whole vampire series was actually the beginning of the first book where it was all still very "humany" and this one just starts out real scifi to begin with. I think I'm going to stick it out for a while though and see if it really does turn into a romance or what. I haven't "bumped into" any one who has actually read it yet, I'm very curious. It must get better as it is sticking up there pretty high on the NY Times best seller list.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home