Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Dunes

We had lots of fun with our Memorial Day Weekend (plus some more) visitors! Yes, Grandma and Grandpa came all the way from Canton to see our new digs and have a nice visit. And how do we repay that kindness you ask??? We drag them up the dunes! In the picture above you see her royal highness at the top of the dune. We were at Lake Michigan which you see in the background. It was a lovely day to do this... gorgeous sunshine and a little on the cooler side, perfect. Up on the dune it is pretty breezy (or it was that day). In order to try to show you the scale of the dune... here below is Max (he is in the red shirt). He literally had to crawl to go up the dune any further - it was so steep (and of course sandy) that otherwise he was just sliding down.
I tried very hard to get a picture with the blog in mind. Here is one taken by Jeff which shows Grandpa and Grandma and myself resting on a driftwood log. We were at the top - but there was another steeper section off to the left that we chose to avoid. It was so beautiful up there. People watching was a blast too. The teenagers had boards (like snowboards with straps for the feet - not sure what they were meant for, unless "sand surfing" is their real purpose) and would "surf" down the back side of the dune (which was sooooo steep that crawling up was the only choice even for adults). I really like this picture, may I add that Grandma and Grandpa got up that dune with no problem at all. Pretty impressive if you ask me!
After hangin on the dune for quite awhile we went down to the Lake for a look see. What a gorgeous day. It looked much different then the "sand/iceburgs" that were there the last time I visited! Whew! Look out for those Michigan waves kids!!! (waves my foot! clearly the people who say the Great Lakes have waves have never lived near the Jersey shore!!!)
We then drove to another section of Lake Michigan near the artist village of Saugatuck (which I have written about before) and also went to South Haven to watch the boats. We travelled over a lot of territory all in all! When we were done here's what the van looked like.
PS - yes I know that Max has a smirk and is clearly faking - just seemed very Max to me - he wanted to be included!!! :)

Happy (almost) Friday!
What did you do over the long weekend???

2 Comments:

At 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jen!!
Those dunes look really cool. I can't wait to show the folks at work the pics of Maggie. :>) Looks like a fun time.
We stayed here, helped Dad get the garden in, and relaxed. It was sunny and 80. My kind od weather.
Now we are just gearing up for Graduation!!! Can you believe my "baby" graduates high school in less than 3 weeks. Where does the time go. I'll send pics.
Well off to work, just wanted to say "Hi"

Miss you,
Deb

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! I just typed up a most fantastic comment for you and then forgot to put in the word verification before I close the window. Drats! Anyway - what did I write - first that I can't wait to see the dunes in read life and then something about Max being a cheerful sleeper (or at least that is what I thought until I read your caption), then I asked an unrelated question concerning the status of you and The Host. Have you read it yet? I'm still waiting for it to be returned to the library as it is now overdue by the person who has it out first. Drats. If you read it and it was good, I'm sure I would have heard about it right? That means either a.) you haven't read it yet or b.) you read it and hated it. I wonder...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home