Sunday, April 20, 2008

De-licious and Nu-tricious

Hello there on this glorious Sunday!
Here it is sunny and warm, about 75 degrees. Lovely.
We have the fans going in the house and a delicious breeze is cooling me as we speak.
Ahhhhhh.
So, since I was thinking delicious breeze, I thought I'd share a recipe with you that I made last night. Here is the first picture of it... i think I can kiss my "food stylist" career goodbye... Okay, so the recipe is for "Garden-Style Turkey Meatloaf". I got the recipe years ago off the lid of a quaker oats canister. Here it is, I am putting it as written and in parenthesis I am letting you know what I do instead.

1.5lbs lean ground turkey or lean ground beef (I use a mixture of both - 1lb turkey, 1/2 lb beef)
One 10oz package frozen chopped spinach thawed and drained (best part!)
1 cup quaker oats - uncooked
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup finely shredded carrots (I am generous with these measurements)
2 egg whites or 1 egg, slightly beaten (i used egg beaters)
1/3 cup skim milk
1.5 teaspoons italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit this)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1. Heat oven to 350. 2. Combine all ingredients in large bowl, mix lightly but thoroughly. 3. On cookie sheet shape meatloaf into a 9x5 loaf (or whatever, does anyone really measure that??) in center of pan. 4. Bake 45 - 55 minutes until medium doneness (160 degrees) and juices run clear. 5. Let stand about 5 minutes (or a bit more) before slicing.

Yield: 8 servings
calories: 150
total fat: 6g
cholesterol: 65mg
fiber: 3g
protein: 16g

WWpoints: ??? not sure, can't find my points thingy, can someone who has it available check for me and then I'll edit this to include that info? Thanks.

Ratings (on a 1- 10 scale, 10 being amazing):

Jenny - 10+
Jeff - 10
Abbie - 8+
Ethan - 10
Max - hates it (but one in five aint so bad!)

And a final shot to leave you with. It shows its texture well. This is fantastic cold the next day too on sandwiches. If you make it, let us know what you think okay?
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!! :)

6 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummm... I thought I already replied to this, but I must have typed in the tricky word verification wrong and then prematurely closed the window. It is probably a good thing that it didn't take because I was really hooked on that part where you wrote that no one really measures their meat anyway...

So - 1 serving is 3 WW points according to the nutritional data that you provided. I did not type the whole recipe in so I don't know what it is with you changes. It does look good and I think I'm going to put it on my menu except it may have to wait a bit as I don't think I have any frozen spinach at the moment. I did just take all the yarn and fleece out of my freezer in the basement and turn it on for food, so I'm working on stocking up on some things. I also have a free membership coupon for BJ's so I better go get that and get shopping!

The weather has also been very nice here too. Much nicer today than yesterday as yesterday was too hot and today was just right! The only thing is that now we don't have enough rain and there are a lot of fires. CT weather is so crazy - like whatever we have, we have too much of at once! Too much rain, too much wind, too much snow, too hot, too cold, too dry... Ack, it is enough to drive someone batty!

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi girlfriend. Your recipe looks pretty gross ( I am sure Ryan will agree with Max.) But I will give it a try...soon and I'll let you know. I really enjoy your blog and I am so glad you are updating it more frequently!!! ( I'll keep you as a shortcut, LOL)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Hey Jen

It does look interesting. We may try it, although Gabe is definitely the chef around our house. We just got back from our vacation, so now I have a huge unpacking mess to deal with and I have to hurry up and git'r done, because Camping Season opens on Friday. I have to work tonight, tomorrow night and Thursday night, and then somehow be all ready to roll on Friday right after school.

I'm hoping to post to my blog soon. I know it's ridiculous, but I've been so glad to see you back and I guess I should get on the stick again.

Anyway, I just looked behind me and the mess is still there, so since it would appear that none of the Good Fairies followed me home (nor did Mary Poppins) I'd better go get busy.

Talk soon.

Love ya~
Kim

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

I will have to agree with your second comment-er. It does look pretty gross. I may try it however. I'm not sure. If I don't like it, I have no one to pass it on to. I know Ty will hate it just like Max. Ty is PICKY! Of course he is only 2.

Well, today was the big day. D-day. And so I am now officially a divorcee. Sounds so sophisticated. It was really weird to be in the court room. What kept me from getting upset, was knowing that I was doing this for Ty. He needs to be raised in a happy environment. And if Mommy's not happy, then that's not good for my son. Right? Right!

The weather here is great as well. Sunny and 80 yesterday. Rained this morning, but now the sun is out and it's warming up. Great. I love this weather. Makes my heart happy!

Tonight, my friend Sue Ellen and I are going out for margaritas. Wish you could join us!!

Love you much!!
Kristy

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Kim said...

As far as picky kids go, I have to say, I've experienced both. Reese has always been very picky, although he's gotten better since we got a bit tougher on him about at least tasting things before calling it gross. Kayleigh will try anything, and likes most everything. With her the weirdness comes through in that you never know if she's going to eat or not, because some days she'll eat a bite or two and say she's full, and it goes on like that all day, and other days, she eats everything in sight. What can I tell you, I have odd kids.

Anyway Kristy, congrats on taking a step to making yourself happy. Alot of women don't have the courage to do that. My oldest sister, for example, was in an unhappy marriage for nearly 20 years before it finally ended, and believe me, it didn't do any of them any good to keep it going for the sake of the kids, least of all the kids they were trying to hold it together for. Your right that you need to be happy to be a good mom. I think some people have a hard time really grasping that concept. Anyway, take care. Jen, I'm going to try to call you sometime this week. I miss you.

Kim

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I commented a cuple days ago and for some reason it did not show up? Anyway, I will try this recipe, but I guarentee Ken and Zach will not even touch it, as you are very aware of how picky those two are. Ken has some weird thinking that meat should never be in the shape of a loaf, unless it is digested and exiting the... well...you know... Anyway, I look forward to trying it. The boys are sleeping on a battle ship this weekend in Mass. for boy scouts so maybe I will make it for myself. I wonder if I could half the recipe? Talk to you soon.

Becky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home