Sunday, July 20, 2008

Red Light Foods

Hello Everyone,

I hope that you all had a nice weekend!
Before I go into today's exciting entry (ha, ha, ha) I want to say GAME ON for tomorrow. Monday will be our first SCRAPTOGETHER day. Maybe by then I'll think of another name for it. So, those participants who agreed to play, and any who want to join in, just stop by the blog tomorrow at 8pm and say - "i'm here!" I'll have a message up. Then whenever you're done stop by again and let us know what you got finished. As we go on we can get creative with IM or skype or whatever, but for now lets just keep it simple. Sound good? I know I'm expecting Deb, Becky, Heather, and Tamara. Wondering if Kristin will join in? Perhaps Kristy will go for it? Could there be another mystery person who may go for the challenge? Tune in tomorrow to find out! :)

So, on to the topic of the day. Today was "one of those days" when it just seemed like dieting was such a drag. Really. I wanted brownies all blinkin day long. Even unmade in their box they were humming their siren song. Luckily (don't know how I managed) today I resisted. I remember that one of the (many)times I went to weight watchers they used to discuss “red light foods”, those foods that if they are in your house – you will eat them. No amount of willpower will save you. Weight Watchers recommended (at that time) that you keep those foods OUT of your house. I must say that after years of trial and error I’d have to agree.

I need to confess that I cannot co-exist with brownies. They call me. Really, they do. I can be innocently changing laundry when I’ll hear: “jeeeennnnny, we are so tasty…” I’ll ignore it or put them in the microwave (out of sight, out of mind… but unfortunately not out of earshot!) and still their tempting song can be heard – even on a different level of the house “jeeennnyyyy just a little nibble wont huuuurrttt you….”. When they’re in the microwave the sound is just a little muffled.

I must sadly confess that in the battle of Jenny vs the Brownie, the brownie most often wins.

Do you have a “red light food”? An arch nemesis in the war of weight loss? A food whose tempting nature makes “battle” of the bulge really mean something to you?

What’s your temptation?

PS – I don’t do too well with cookies either….

PPS - SEE YA TOMORROW!!!

9 Comments:

At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay Jenn, since I probably bugged you the most about the entries I will be the first to respond.
My red light foods are as follows in order of their dirty temptation:
Crunchy, flaky chocolate chip cookies-not store bought or grocery store bakery bought, real ones from a good bakery or home made; next, birthday cake with buttercream frosting; once again not from Costco, BJ's or the grocery store-real bakeries need only apply for my taste test. (Lord I sound like such a sweet snot!) Lastly, crunchy, sweet cereals I can eat by handful-Capt'n Crunch, Fruit Loops etc...going Organic has helped with that but you can still make a mean organic chocolate chip cookie!
Can't wait to see you and discuss this further.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehehehe - I have some of those Red Light Foods! First, I have to say, that I almost coexist with already baked brownies, but I can NOT live with boxes of brownie mix in my house. Nope, no way. The mix calls to me from inside the box!!!! Yum! The one main and absolute food that I can NOT have anywhere near my house is Fluff. If, for any reason, one of the girls convinces IHA to bring home fluff, they have to hide it, and I have paid up to $10.00 to have that that fluff "found" for me!!!! Yum!!! So yes, my children feel deprived of a normal childhood treat, but really, I will eat the whole jar and it will not make it through the night.
I'll try to check in tonight. I have to work til 8 and then if I still have any ounce of energy left I have to upgrade my blog software as my blog was hacked last week because I'm still using the old version of Wordpress. There is always something, isn't there?

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red light - Jelly Belly jellybeans, pizza, and ice cream. Luckily, I love lots of green light foods too - not that salad serves as any replacement for the above reds, but I do crave the "greens" sometimes too!

I would love to scrapbook tonight. The thought of it even gets me giddy! I won't know where to start though, it has been so long. I only seem to scrapbook when Jen is around so it is down to just a few times a year now! Maybe this will help...

Kristin

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have way too many "red light" foods to name! How can you only have two or three?? Ok if I need to narrow it down that much then my red light food is carbohydrates!!! Yes I am a carboholic. Bread, potatoes,pasta, sweets....so now we know why I am overweight!!

I will check in as close to 8 as I can. It's actually much cooler down in my craft room than upstairs, so that's a bonus. Talk to you later.

SBDeb
PS Everyone was asking about you at the Harwinton crop Saturday. :>)

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi and Happy Scrapbooking night! I'm here, but I'm not scrapbooking. We are updating my wordpress software. Wish us luck! Hope everyone is having fun!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I'm thinking Scrappy Jen got sidetracked. I kept waiting for the post so we could sign in. I finally just went down and started scrapping. It's now 9:30 and I've completed two baby cards. It's muggy downstairs so I'm headed into the airconditioned bedroom. Am I the only one actually scrapping??? Oh Jenny where are you????

SBDeb

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo hoo? Hello out there??? Anyone else scrapbooking besides (not) Tamara?

I took the challenge and started around 8:45. I am working on a minibook kit. Rather than follow directions and just cut and cover the chipboard pages, I decided all the edges of each castle shaped page needed paint of course. So I am writing this in between coats of pink!

What are you doing?

Kristin

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I just got back from a weekend away at Mattapoiset so I was not aware of the scrapping beginning. No biggie, but I will join in next week. I am actually off to bed. I am exhausted.

Becky

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Ok, I was not scrapping either. I was on the couch, sick. (That stomach bug thing!)As I was since 6:30 in the morning....1/2 way thru reading an e-mail from you, when I had a mad dash to the bathroom....ugh.

But onto the "red light" foods. I can resist cooked brownies....it's the brownie mix I love. All the girls at work know that if I bring brownies in to work, I had a brownie mix fix. I make brownies just to lick the bowl. Same with cookies. Not much into the finished product, just the dough. And not store bought. It has to be homemade cookie dough...

My big craving is a Coke. I allow myself one a day. I love a cold Coke with a straw, on ice. (McDonalds has the best) Some nights for a treat (or if I've had a crummy or stressful day) I will allow myself a second. I know, it's lame. But still not very good for you.

Finally, to help with that sweet tooth, Ty and I have popsicles every night outside and watch the cars go by. We've got Lemonade ones for tonight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home