Saturday, September 16, 2006

Do NOT go "off roading" with a Minivan!




We interrupt your regurarly scheduled blog for an important consumer safety tip. Minivans were not meant to go "off roading". They simply do not have the tire clearance. Furthermore when helpful public safely officers come down the road they are likely to mention that:

1. Vans are not for off-roading.
2. You cannot leave stuck van half in and half out of the road.
3. The stuck car must be unstuck at once.

Now, let me tell you from experience that minivans are hard to Unstick! They resist with an impressive bogging down and dirt spattering. Rolling back and forth repeatedly over mud will not improve your situation.

Having two little boys in the car shouting "go mommy, you can do it" and "cool" and "woah this is FUN can I have a turn" will either help you out or greatly annoy you based on your temperament and the way the day has gone so far.

The pictures, in order of appearance show the new driveway (picture 1) which necessitated parking on the grass which is up a slope (picture 2) note the rain had caused the slope to be more like a mud bog. The tires of the minivan (picture 3) were simply not meant to withstand and conquer the mud. Would have had a picture of the car in the road, but thought it best to get it out of the situation ASAP so the officer would be pleased.

Husband came home and rescued the situation.

So, unless you put some new tires on your van and either have or add the 4 wheelin package, I would avoid pools of mud.

This ends our public safety announcement. Stay tuned for actual directions in case of an emergency (such as running out of adhesive at 3am or something).

:)

7 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, ok, as a fellow minivan owner, I need to weigh in (get it?)...SINCE THEY DO NOT GO WELL IN SNOW (IE SNOWPLOW INCIDENT??!!) WHAT MADE YOU THINK YOU COULD TRY OFFROADING????

But i digress, you need to shed the minivan soccer mom image. I need to show you my ALL WHEEL DRIVE Highlander Leather, sunroof- I bet you could still fit kids and mom and dad and look cooler and THEN go offroading!!!!

Where were you going my dear?? Were you daydreaming about that HOT guy and missed your turn? Just kidding. We need to get together- so I can show off my Highlander...

PS. Happy Belated Birthday- boy I never thought we would see that big number up close!!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Spincerely said...

OH NO!!! I may have an actually emergency! I did NOT buy my hermie refil tonight as needed!! I may be calling at 3 am!!!

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, your weather pixie is very cute - yellow dress and high heels.
Your public saftey officer sounds very astute.
I was once stuck in my minivan on a mountain in VT. The public saftey officer there was very helpful and unstucked me. Maybe they are more helpful on Vermontonian Mountain tops with the yodelling mountian goats?

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I have been reading this lovely blog since day 1; and finally feel compelled to comment. If the wonderful Jenny feels inclined to offroad and argue with snowplows; then maybe she needs a Hummer! You know the commercial where the little kid cuts in line on the slide, so the mom trades her minivan for an H3. You go girl!!

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger B.Matt Kubinski said...

J-
You never sent me any of that blogger stuff.

Offroading in minivans. Should it be done? no. Does that mean you should do it anyway? YES!

Those hubcaps are suspiciously clean though. I smell a hoax!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Matt ~ no hoax at all. I really am attempting to "off road" on my front lawn!

Deb - nice to hear from you!!! I think a hummer is a great idea!

And Kimmy ~ send me the next Highlander your hubby comes across. Although I do like the minivan soccer mom image - it just suits me.

Spinny - I hope you made it with your hermie emergency. Just call "867-5309" if you get stuck. Thanks for the weather pixie compliments, tonight I am waiting to see when she dons the raincoat... my guess is any minute now!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Spincerely said...

No way! You mean your pixie actually changes her own clothes??? How cool is that!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home