Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Visitors

This past weekend we were so lucky to have Auntie Laura (my sister in law) and Ruthe (only niece, so far anyway...) visit us here. We had a wonderful time. Now, the time wasn't without some, um... issues, but overall it was fabulous. I love having my family around. Always. Love guests. Want more (hint! hint!).
So one of the things we did when Laura and Ruthe (pronounced ruth*ee) were here was go to see Lake Michigan. At least that's what I thought we'd be doing. On the way down we spoke to Ethan and Ruthe about touching the water, seeing how cold it was, seeing if there was ice floating on it.
Okay, so we were certainly correct about the ice. If you look carefully at the picture you will see the ice floating around - it was hard to see with the naked eye, at first we thought the ice chunks were waves. It was a VERY windy and VERY cold day.

What we didn't expect was the sand/icebergs. Where you see those hills... that is usually the water. The water was so far away because of those dune ice things that we couldn't even walk to it to touch it. This is the view from the car... an overview of sorts.I think I mentioned it was FREEZING. It was actually too much for Ruthe even after we bundled the kids up like this. Ethan is just older enough (Ruthe is only 22mos) that the thrill of the sand, the rocks, the shells was enough to keep him out there. Here are Laura, Ruthe and Ethan at the edge where the ice starts. It was so cool, beautiful and strange to see this. I was awed.This last shot isn't of anyone I know... just wanted to show you the scale of the dunes of ice vs. people. You see if we didn't have the little ones I know that Laura and I would have walked out there too... but the sign saying don't cross the ice and the fact that it was cold with a whipping wind plus the fact that we would NEVER put our little ones in any kind of compromising condition stopped us. But I wanted to go... man did I ever.Realizing this is anticlimactic after the ice shots above, I still wanted to include it. This was one of Ruthe's favorite places (I believe anyway) and she enjoyed getting down with the Cheese man. The big kids had Friday off while Auntie was here and so we were able to spend the day doing fun things with them too. Turns out it was lucky we did because...

By late Friday night both Abbie and Max had the stomach bug full force. Ew. That is why only Laura and I and the two little ones were all got got to go and see the lake. Poor DH had to stay in the house of vomit. Luckily the virus was a quick one. Unluckily Ruthe was vomiting too by Saturday night and poor Laura had to fly with her on Sunday.

She wound up doing fine on both flights and now they are home safe and sound. We miss them dearly. Thought the sickness was over here too... but Max's sore throat that we thought was from the vomiting (TMI???) was actually a sign that he had something else. He has been home sick since Tuesday and most likely should not have gone to school Monday either.

So you see why there was some complications to the visit, but we made the best of it and had a wonderful time.

Okay out there - who's going to be my next visitor!!!??? Get workin on those plane flight people!!! ;)

3 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm really laughing as I write this (and btw, first post!!!), but you make it sound like such an attractive offer as in "Oh joy! Let's all go rush to visit the house of vomit!"
Anyway - I can't believe how big Ethan is getting! And those lake photos are so interesting. I can't say I really understand what I'm looking at. Are those dunes usually underwater?
OK, off to read your next post now:)

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Heeheeeheee... okay woolie one, I hadn't looked at it quite that way. I suppose visiting the house of vomit would have it's drawbacks.... but think of the fun vomit pages we could scrap!

As to the lake... what you see where the dunes are is usually water. Very shallow water. The "dunes" (really they are icebergs more then dunes though, they are made up of sand and ice) are there only because of the pounding surf and frozen water. Quite a battering the shore took. At parts I couldn't even see where the beach used to be. Then I was told by the locals while at lunch that in Spring it all thaws out and just gets reabsorbed into the lake. They don't even rake it or anything. Cool huh?

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Kristy said...

Very cool pics! Glad to see you are back and survived the house of vomit. My friend Sue Ellen is experiencing the same. She and her son Brady got it. I am not visiting! Ick!

Thanks for sharing. Onto the next one....2 in one day. Very impressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home