Saturday, February 09, 2008

Recommendations

Happy Saturday!
Hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend.

Just as a little fluffy stuff I thought I'd tell you about a GREAT book I just read (in a matter of one night and one morning - whole book). Yes, a real page turner. I'd put it in the mystery/suspense genre although when I went to get it at the book store it was in the romance (! egad!) section. Anyway the book was called Blood Dreams and is by Kay Hooper. If you do decide to read it I warn you that it ends somewhat unresolved, she tends to write stories as trilogies. Still, it was a great fast read. I really enjoy all the Bishop SCU books by her. She was a romance writer before turning to suspense and it shows.

Do you have any authors you can recommend? I love books with ongoing characters weaved through them. Suspense is my favorite genre - but I am open to suggestions!

Movies now... Saw in the theater Hannah Montana 3D concert. It was cute for what it was. I loved the 3Dness of it. We saw trailors of lots of movies to come out this summer with the digital 3D and they all looked great. I personally cannot wait for the next Narnia movie to come out. Is there anything you have seen lately in the theater to recommend? I am curious about the Veggie Tales Pirates Who Don't Do Anything that is out right now. Has anyone seen it?? Also, I rarely get to see a movie not kiddy related and would love your insights. I love seeing movies in the theater... you?

Finally, out in video. I just saw Sydney White and thought it was very cute. A modern Snow White. Must admit that I am a fan of Amanda Bynes ever since... (drumroll) ... HAIRSPRAY of course! Do you have any new releases on DVD you could recommend? I am in the mood for a good movie tonight.

Welp, that's my two cents.
Would love to hear yours!!! :)

Have a great weekend - J

5 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a couple of good books for you- The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and also Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I read them with the book club I belong to. I just started reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and am only on chapter 3 but so far so good. It is a fast read. I have to say I have not been to the movies in quite some time. I think the last movie I went to see was the Bee Movie... HAven't seen many grown up rentals lately either. Are you watching Idol? Or is your TV still off? Are you a Lost fan? I am obsessed with that one! Well, keep the book reccomendations coming, always looking for a good one! Talk to you soon. Becky

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good movie we saw recently in the theater (preferred venue!) was No Country For Old Men. Quite good, I highly recommend! I rented Year of The Dog with Molly Shannon. It was strange, and I didn't like the way they mocked animal rights activists, but after I thought about it & realized *every* character got mocked in the film, I guess it's OK. The guy at the rental store said it was funny. I thought it was more sad than funny, but has some humour in it. Luckily, it was free, so no harm, no foul! :)
Also rented Touristas, a story about tourists in Brazil who get robbed, drugged & well, I won't ruin it for you, but I'm glad it was a free rental, too. It was pretty frustrating, all the bad decisions these characters made. But kind of scary, made me somewhat nervous about our upcoming Meditteranean cruise we're taking in Oct.! Let's hope the Spanish, French, Italians & Africans are nicer than the locals in this movie!
Hope all's well.
Love,
Gina

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Hey Jen

A belated comment for you. As far as suspensful books with ongoing characters go, I love a trilogy by Barbara Michaels. It's not really a trilogy in that each one is resolved at the end of it, but they do all feature the same characters, with new ones mixed in as the books go along. The first is sort of a ghost story, "Ammie, Come Home". The second, "Shattered Silk" finds one of the characters being pulled into a decade's old murder mystery, and the last "Stitches in Time" is another case of being over shadowed by a ghost. They are really great. I found them actually the day I went into early labor with Reese. Gabe went to the gift shop at the Hospital and bought Stitches in Time for me. I loved it so much, but I could tell there was more to it, because they mentioned things that had happened in the past as though the reader already knew about them, so I looked up the author at the library and found the other two books, then re-read them in order this time. All these years later they still rank among my favorites. If you can find them, check them out.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I tried to post a couple of days ago, but your blogger ate my comment. Don't forget Twilight!!! It is a trilogy - or actually there there is going to be a fourth book. What would that be called, a quad something? Hummm... Does anyone know what a series of 4 books is called???? Also - The Wednesday Wars. I know, they are YA and there are no hot steamy steamy romance scenes in either of them, but they are still really good! Well, technically, Twilight is a romance, but it is very chaste. Have a great day!

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! It is me again. I think I know what is happening with the "lost" comments - at least in my case. I think what I'm doing is hitting publish and thinking that the comment posted without checking and then closing the window too soon. Like just now, I hit publish and it brought me to the top of your comment screen and I scrolled down but my comment was still not published because it wanted me to type the word verification again. I don't know why because I double checked that I had it right a few times. Anyway, I think I just have to make sure that it posted before I close the comment window. The other day when I posted, I wanted to see my comment in your blog screen so I think I closed the comment window prematurely and I hadn't passed the word verification yet. I bet that is probably what happened with Agent K too. I think the comment screen should ask you before you close it if you are sure you really want to close it as you have a written comment still pending. What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home